Computer network technicians establish, operate, maintain and co-ordinate the use of local and wide area networks (LANs and WANs), mainframe networks, hardware, software and related computer equipment. They set up and maintain Internet and intranet Web sites and Web-server hardware and software, and monitor and optimize network connectivity and performance. They are employed in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Supervisors of computer network technicians are included in this unit group.
- Assists webmasters, web designers and computer programmers set up and maintain website and web servers;
- Writes script and integrates artwork, text, video, and animation according to established graphic standards;
- Modifies web pages;
- Writes programs to automate website functions;
- Establishes and maintains standards for specific websites;
- Ensures websites are operating correctly by monitoring and testing website performance;
- Registers websites with search engines;
- Performs web server backup and recovery operations;
- Documents web configurations and operating procedures.
Two-year college program in computer engineering technology or computer science