Water Treatment Technician
Civil engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services to scientists, engineers and other professionals, or may work independently in fields such as structural engineering, municipal engineering, construction design and supervision, highways and transportation engineering, water resources engineering, geotechnical engineering and environmental protection.
- Operates water treatment equipment to create potable water;
- Infuses ammonia or chlorine to disinfect raw water;
- Monitors automatic chemical delivery equipment and adjusts quantities to ensure that water is disinfected, deodorized, and clarified;
- Regulates the flow of water through filter beds to remove impurities;
- Pumps treated water into municipal water mains;
- Cleans and maintains tanks and filter beds;
- Maintains water treatment machines, pumps, and other equipment;
- Tests water samples for acidity, colour, and impurities;
- Maintains records of chemicals in treated water, water turbidity, and water pressure.
Two-year college program in civil engineering technology.