Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians may work independently or provide technical support and services in the design, development, testing, production and operation of electrical and electronic equipment and systems. They are employed by electrical utilities, communications companies, manufacturers of electrical and electronic equipment, consulting firms, and in governments and a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries.
- Researches and designs integrated telecommunications systems involving voice, digital data, and video;
- Implements and manages the use of convergence technologies for broadcast and cable applications;
- Oversees the manufacture of telecommunications devices and systems;
- Implements fibre optic networks;
- Participates in the sale and representation of telecommunications systems;
- Installs the electronic infrastructures of telecommunications systems;
- Applies quality control measures during the production of telecommunication systems and devices;
- Maintains installed telecommunications systems;
- Implements software installation or upgrades for telecommunications networks;
- Selects and installs new hardware for telecommunications networks;
- Prepares and presents technical reports and plans to customers.
Three-year college program in electrical or telecommunications engineering technology.