Supervisor, Drafting Office
Drafting technologists and technicians prepare engineering designs, drawings and related technical information, in multidisciplinary engineering teams or in support of engineers, architects or industrial designers, or they may work independently. They are employed by consulting and construction companies, utility, resource and manufacturing companies, all levels of government and by a wide range of other establishments.
- Plans, assigns, and evaluates the work of a team of drafting technicians;
- Operates and directs the operation of drafting equipment including computers used for CAD applications;
- Prioritizes and schedules assignments;
- Determines the best course of action for the completion of a drafting project;
- Assists in the selection and training of staff;
- Coordinates work with other corporate divisions and with clients;
- Participates in the design process with engineering staff;
- Oversees the preparation of mechanical drawing including site plans and isometric drawings;
- Prepares initial conceptual drawings prior to detailed engineering technical input;
- Maintains records and adherence to budgets.
Two-year college program in civil engineering or engineering design or drafting technology