Computer programmers write, modify, integrate and test computer code for microcomputer and mainframe software applications, data processing applications, operating systems-level software and communications software. Interactive media developers write, modify, integrate and test computer code for Internet applications, computer-based training software, computer games, film, video and other interactive media. They are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors.
- Consults with relevant staff to determine the interface between hardware and planned software;
- Determines user needs and software requirements to determine the feasibility of a planned software design;
- Develops stratagems for keeping the design process within budget and time constraints;
- Analyzes information to determine, recommend, and plan the installation of new software systems of modifications to existing systems;
- Develops specifications and performance requirements for planned software;
- Designs software systems;
- Applies mathematical models to predict and measure the outcomes of the software design;
- Modifies existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware, or to improve performance;
- Performs analyses of software system capabilities;
- Supervises the work of programmers, technicians and other scientific staff;
- Coordinates software system installation and ensure the outputs are in keeping with design specifications.
Three-year college program in computer science