Mass Spectrometer Operator
Chemical technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in chemical engineering, chemical and biochemical research and analysis, industrial chemistry, chemical quality control and environmental protection. They are employed by research and development and quality control laboratories, consulting engineering companies, in chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical and a variety of other manufacturing and processing industries, and by utilities, health, educational and government establishments.
- Prepares sample filaments;
- Maintains and services the mass spectrometer instrument including the vacuum system and the electronic data collection systems;
- Follows the progress of a sample analysis and maintains the relevant documentation;
- Assists in sample preparation;
- Ensures timeliness and quality of measurements;
- Manages the collection of analytical residues;
- Conducts leak tests on all cylinders
- Checks pump operations, manifold integrity and overall operability of the instrument;
- Maintains a clean laboratory working environment.
Two-year college program in chemical or biochemical engineering technology