Chemical technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in chemical engineering, chemical and biochemical research and analysis, industrial chemistry, chemical quality control and environmental protection. They are employed by research and development and quality control laboratories, consulting engineering companies, in chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical and a variety of other manufacturing and processing industries, and by utilities, health, educational and government establishments.
- Maintains cleans, or sterilizes laboratory instruments or equipment;
- Compiles and interprets results of tests and analyses;
- Orders and inventories materials to maintain supplies;
- Provides and maintains a safe work environment by participating in safety programs; committees, or teams and by conducting laboratory or plant safety audits;
- Conducts chemical or physical laboratory tests to assist scientists in making qualitative or quantitative analyses of solids, liquids, or gaseous materials;
- Prepares chemical solutions for products or processes, following standardized formulas, or creates experimental formulas;
- Monitors product quality to ensure compliance with standards and specifications;
- Writes technical reports or prepare graphs or charts to document experimental results;
- Sets up and conducts chemical experiments, tests, and analyses, using techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, physical or chemical separation techniques, or microscopy;
- Provides technical support or assistance to chemists or engineers;
- Develops or conducts programs of sampling and analysis to maintain quality standards of raw materials, chemical intermediates, or products;
- Directs or monitors other workers producing chemical product;.
- Operates experimental pilot plants, assisting with experimental design;
- Designs or fabricates experimental apparatus to develop new products or processes;
- Develops new chemical engineering processes or production techniques.
Two-year college program in chemical engineering technology