Electrical Power Systems Technician
Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians may work independently or provide technical support and services in the design, development, testing, production and operation of electrical and electronic equipment and systems. They are employed by electrical utilities, communications companies, manufacturers of electrical and electronic equipment, consulting firms, and in governments and a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries.
- Installs and maintains cables, terminations, and other equipment for electric utility switching stations, distribution and terminal systems;
- Assists in the design, development and testing of power equipment and systems;
- Inspects, overhauls, troubleshoots, and repairs metering and electrical equipment related to electric utility distribution systems;
- Commissions the installation of major equipment for terminals, switching stations, and distribution systems;
- Installs and maintains circuit breakers in large industrial facilities;
- Performs power factor corrections;
- Writes specifications and technical reports.
Two-year college program in electrical engineering technology