Drafting technologists and technicians prepare engineering designs, drawings and related technical information, in multidisciplinary engineering teams or in support of engineers, architects or industrial designers, or they may work independently. They are employed by consulting and construction companies, utility, resource and manufacturing companies, all levels of government and by a wide range of other establishments.
- Coordinates with engineers and design technologists to develop construction plans in accordance with specifications;
- Studies work documents such as building sketches, specification sheets and engineering calculations;
- Develops plans, drawings, and diagrams that adhere to established norms and techniques;
- Participates in developing specification sheets and material estimates;
- Writes technical documentation.
Two-year college program in civil engineering or engineering design or drafting technology