Computer programmers write, modify, integrate and test computer code for microcomputer and mainframe software applications, data processing applications, operating systems-level software and communications software. Interactive media developers write, modify, integrate and test computer code for Internet applications, computer-based training software, computer games, film, video and other interactive media. They are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors.
- Builds new databases by first establishing the purposes of the planned database, who will use it, and how it will link to other systems or databases;
- Updates existing databases;
- Ensures the integrity, performance and security of a database;
- Designs user-friendly systems of organizing data;
- Builds test systems to reveal and correct any flaws in the design of the database;
- Monitors the performance of the database to ensure it is operating as designed;
- Inserts information into the database;
- Ensures that the database is supported by sufficient data storage capacities;
- Creates back-up structures for the database;
- Trains staff in the use of the database;
- Produces performance reports for the organization’s senior management;
- Ensures that the database is fully compliant with local privacy legislation.
Three-year college program in computer science.