Computer Engineering Technician
Computer network technicians establish, operate, maintain and co-ordinate the use of local and wide area networks (LANs and WANs), mainframe networks, hardware, software and related computer equipment. They set up and maintain Internet and intranet Web sites and Web-server hardware and software, and monitor and optimize network connectivity and performance. They are employed in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Supervisors of computer network technicians are included in this unit group.
- Employs documented solutions to diagnose technical problems involving computing devices;
- Contributes to monitoring and reviewing the effectiveness of troubleshooting initiatives;
- Applies practical knowledge of device connectivity and integrated networks;
- Supports the integration of multiple software and hardware components using appropriate network architecture;
- Configures and maintains a variety of computer systems in accordance with documented functional requirements;
- Employs standard tools, techniques and equipment to maintain computer systems;
- Resolves operational and technical problems within a computer system environment;
- Operates a variety of computer hardware, software, and networked systems;
- Ascertains that both hardware and software are functioning per specification;
- Applies knowledge of digital and analog circuit design to troubleshoot embedded computing devices;
- Tests and verifies the electrical systems of embedded computing devices;
- Understands and employs debugging tools and techniques in newly installed systems;
- Contributes to the analysis, building, testing, implementation, and maintenance of applications;
- Recognizes the security risks of software and hardware applications;
- Incorporates security measures into software development and installation;
- Implements operational guidelines established by recognized international and national agencies for appropriates practices within a computing environment;
- Participates in planning, scheduling and task assignments during the implementation of computer systems projects.
Two-year college program in computer engineering technology.