Computer Assisted Drafting Technician
Drafting technologists and technicians prepare engineering designs, drawings and related technical information, in multidisciplinary engineering teams or in support of engineers, architects or industrial designers, or they may work independently. They are employed by consulting and construction companies, utility, resource and manufacturing companies, all levels of government and by a wide range of other establishments.
- Studies preliminary sketches, specification sheets and engineering calculations in preparation for computer assisted modeling of concepts of physical structures;
- Participates in the drafting of specifications and materials estimating;
- Discusses designs of structures or products with members of the engineering team;
- Develops plans drawings, and models in accordance with specification that have been produced by the engineering design team;
- Works with either 3D (solid) or 2D (surface) formats of representation;
- Amends computer generated representations as designs change during production or construction;
- Provides engineers and clients to take a virtual tour of a structure or to inspect a product’s internal components;
- Produces technical documentation.
Two-year college program in civil engineering or engineering design or drafting technology