Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians may work independently or provide technical support and services in the design, development, testing, production and operation of electrical and electronic equipment and systems. They are employed by electrical utilities, communications companies, manufacturers of electrical and electronic equipment, consulting firms, and in governments and a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries.
- Establishes communications systems by installing, operating, and maintaining voice and data telecommunications networks;
- Repairs telecommunications equipment including telephone, cable television and Internet devices;
- Installs various forms of electrical wiring to ensure proper matching and interconnectivity of electronic equipment;
- Verifies that networks are functioning as designed by testing circuits, equipment assemblies and alarms;
- Documents networks by labeling equipment and cables and by recording configuration diagrams;
- Produces computer generated drawings of installed sites including electrical distribution, site access points and special site considerations and needs;
- Installs and maintains advanced forms of communications equipment such as microwave point-to-point radios and multiplex systems that interface between a central carrier and specific site equipment;
- Installs and maintains security alarm and control equipment;
- Installs and maintains criminal investigative equipment such as video cameras, and devices used for telephone interception, vehicle tracking, and night vision;
- Installs and repairs antennas and wiring on communications towers;
- Identifies, purchases, and distributes electronic parts and equipment to support the continuing maintenance of existing communications networks;
- Tests and evaluates new telecommunications equipment to ensure that is meets system design parameters and manufacturer’s specifications;
- Catalogues and edits shop technical service manuals and reference books.
Two-year college program in focused on electronics or electrical technology