Chemical technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in chemical engineering, chemical and biochemical research and analysis, industrial chemistry, chemical quality control and environmental protection. They are employed by research and development and quality control laboratories, consulting engineering companies, in chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical and a variety of other manufacturing and processing industries, and by utilities, health, educational and government establishments.
- Acquire, install, maintain and operate analytical equipment and technical instruments such as those required for environmental analysis;
- Conduct experiments on products being developed or improved;
- Carry out chemical reactions;
- Prepare standards and samples;
- Analyze samples using bench methods and sophisticated instrumentation;
- Prepare reports and required documentation;
- Maintain and upgrade laboratory instruments and equipment;
- Manage projects and make presentations about results.
Three-year college program in chemical engineering technology