Chemical technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in chemical engineering, chemical and biochemical research and analysis, industrial chemistry, chemical quality control and environmental protection. They are employed by research and development and quality control laboratories, consulting engineering companies, in chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical and a variety of other manufacturing and processing industries, and by utilities, health, educational and government establishments.
- Work in every aspect of the chemical process industry, from basic research to hazardous waste management;
- Research and development technicians work in experimental laboratories,;
- Process control technicians work in manufacturing or other industrial plants;
- Technicians operate many kinds of equipment and instrumentation;
- Set up apparatus for chemical reactions;
- Prepare compounds;
- Monitor commercial production;
- Test for product quality;
- Collect and analyze samples produced through organic synthesis.;
- Conduct a variety of laboratory procedures, from routine process control to complex research projects;
- Work in data management, quality control, and shipping.
Three-year college program in chemical engineering technology