Aircraft Instrument Technician
This unit group includes mechanics and technicians who install, adjust, repair and overhaul aircraft instrument, electrical or avionics systems on aircraft. This unit group also includes avionics inspectors who inspect instrument, electrical and avionics systems following assembly, modification, repair or overhaul. Workers in this unit group are employed by aircraft manufacturing, maintenance, repair and overhaul establishments and by airlines and other aircraft operators.
- Installs, calibrates, and tests aircraft instruments;
- Repairs and overhauls aircraft instruments;
- Troubleshoots, repairs, or modifies aircraft electrical systems including communications, navigation, and autopilot equipment;
- Ensures that aircraft instrument maintenance, repair, and overhaul procedures are in keeping with federal government standards as well as company standards for safety and performance;
- Operates various avionics test equipment related to navigation and autopilot systems;
- Documents all work performed;
- Fabricates test harnesses for avionics test equipment and tools.
Two-year college program in avionics or electronic engineering technology